Have you seen our golf shirts? They are a huge hit and a must have for the golfer in your life!
With my two crazy boys fighting over all the sports balls, who can throw them and when, if they make the shot or not.... these cake balls will be nothing different.
Cake balls recipe for the kids, coming in hot! These are so fun to make and the options are unlimited with your cake and frosting combinations.
- 1 box of cake mix (any kind you'd like!)
- 1 can of frosting
- Ingredients required per the cake mix
- 1 package of confectioner's chocolate candy (not regular chocolate chips!)
- Mini-cupcake wrappers
- Mini-scoop (a melon baller works too)
- Double boiler pan for melting the chocolate & dipping
- Bake the cake in a pan per the box instructions
- Let the cake cool completely
- Once cook, crumble the cake with your hands in a large bowl
- Mix in the can of frosting and combine well
- Scoop and shape the cake mixture into uniform balls and place on a lined cookie sheet (you should end up with 70-ish balls.
- It's important for the cake balls to be room temperature before dipping so if you were impatient ;) and they aren't completely cool, wait until they are. They can crack after dipping if they aren't!
I've tried a bunch of different ways for melting the chocolate candy and dipping and the best way I have found is using a double boiler pan. It gives you the most control over the temperature (a constant temperature is very important) and keeps the chocolate melted and easy to work with.
- On the stove top, heat several sections of chocolate candy in the double boiler pan on med/low heat until you have a smooth (not too thick) consistency.
- Working quickly while maintaining a consistent heat on the stove to keep the chocolate melted, put a cake ball on a small spoon and dip into the chocolate. Coat well and return to the cookie sheet.
- Add and melt more chocolate candy as needed
- The chocolate candy hardens as it cools so if you're doing sprinkles, add them before the balls completely cool. This is a great step to let your kiddos help!
- Once they are completely cool, place in the mini-cupcake wrappers and store in an airtight container (I refrigerate mine).
That's it! Enjoy!